I mentioned to Claudia I too went to the Banned, Burned, Seized.... Books exhibit at The Ransom Center - on a day when they had a docent-led tour. I wrote down the names of the books that piqued my interest (in notes-taken order):
Oil by Upton Sinclair. The only note I made about that one is that the exhibit had the "fig leaf" edition wherein a black fig-leaf-shaped blotch covered the censored parts.
Jungle - about meat packing in Chicago, also by Sinclair.
The Sex Side of Life
Who's Obscene (I think this was the name of a book)
The Tropic of Cancer, banned until 1961.
The Children's Hour
It Can't Happen Here, Sinclair Lewis
Passing by Nella Larsen
Strange Fruit, Lillian Smith
Forever Amber, Kathleen Winsor - these last 2 were editions that were shaped to fit a soldier's pocket.
Finally, an article in 1944 The Easy Chair by Bernard DeVoto
Pam Fuchs
2 comments:
I recommend a rereading of It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. Somehow it seems more plausible than ever today.
Thanks for posting these, Pam. I almost but was hesitant to post the list you sent me, since they were your personal choices. Seems Sinclair Lewis was on that list often. I wonder whether he got to the point where he tried to get on the list with a new book, just to see whether he could do it.
Post a Comment